The sewer line is the biggest drain in your house. It is often forgotten in lieu of the obvious drains- Kitchen, shower, tub, toilet, downspout, sinks. However, the sewer line is what all these other drains lead to, and a blockage in the main sewer line will cause blockages in all the other drains. The biggest cause of this is when a tree root pierces the pipe, causing blockages. Although you cannot prevent tree roots, you can take steps to prevent other sources of blockages.
- Avoid rinsing large bits of food down the sink drain when doing dishes. There are foods that could dissolve in the pipes, but when any food is not dissolved, it creates a clogged drain.
- Regularly cleaning out the shower and tub drains will prevent large hair clumps from piling up in the sewers.
- If you have children, watch out for flushing foreign objects down the toilet. Children are known for dropping toys or other objects into toilets and flushing them.
Preventing pipe replacement is difficult. Age is a large reason a pipe may need to be replaced, so one of the best things you can do is keep track of how old your pipes are. Especially in California, pipes can be damaged by earthquakes as well. Earthquakes can cause immediate damage to sewer lines as well as pipes in the home.
However, Earthquakes can shift the ground. There are inevitably weak points in any sewer line, and an earthquake can put pressure on these points. This means that even a few days after the earthquake, the pipes may still burst. Some signs that there is a broken pipe include:
- Toilet gurgling
- Strange puddles of water
- Dripping sounds
- Water pressure fluctuations
- Check your meter and wait for two hours without using any water. Check the meter again. If the meter readings have changed, you have a leak in a pipe.
Basic tips on solving drain and pipe problems by yourself:
- Sink tap is blocked: Turn off the water at its source and cover the overflow holes to build up the pressure. Use a plunger to remove the debris.
- Bad water pressure in the shower: If the water pressure in the shower is weak but the rest of the pressure in your home is normal, the problem is with the showerhead or hose. Cleaning the showerhead regularly can help prevent the build-up of minerals.
- Clogged toilet: If the water is rising in your toilet, it can usually be fixed with a plunger. Give the water time to drop. With the plunger, begin gently to prevent water spraying up. A plunger works by creating a seal over the toilet drain. When plunging, make sure not to break the seal.
There are a wide variety of high-quality plumbers available in Airway Heights, WA if you need help with drain cleaning or pipe replacements. It is crucial to call a professional if your drains are too clogged for you to clean alone or your pipes have sprung a leak. Here are some of the many high-quality professionals available.
- Preferred Plumbing and Drain: Preferred Plumbing and Drain has served Airway Heights, WA since 2004. They have free estimates and no travel charge and are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. For warranty’s, they offer 30-90 days on drain cleaning and 1-4 years on replaced pipes and newly installed pipes.
- Mr. Rescue Plumbing and Drain Cleaning: These plumbers are certified and locally licensed. Mr. Rescue Plumbing and Drain Cleaning will give a quote before starting the job to ensure fair and agreeable price.
- Plumbing Connection Inc. of Airway Heights, WA: These plumbers are available every day, around the clock. They guarantee to reach your location within 30 minutes to quickly assist and fix your problem. Plumbing Connection Inc. of Airway Heights, WA has been serving the Bay area since 2003.